ATC Recruiting

The Scoop

Visas for Korea


In order to work in Korea, foreigners are required to have a valid passport and the appropriate visa from a Korean embassy or consulate in their region. The company or school that is hiring you with gladly help you through this process. Work-related visas must be processed and issued outside of Korea. Recently there have been several cases of foreigners working in Korea without a proper visa. This is strictly prohibited and those who violate this law can face expulsion from Korea, and even possibly be fined or jailed.
The visa application process can be quite time-consuming, generally taking just about a month. Make sure you leave yourself enough time before your travel date. Foreigners with E-2 visas must process this in their home country. It is also possible to get a tourist visa, however most countries are only allowed to stay for three months. Canadian citizens are permitted 6 months. Below is a list of visa types and required documents.

To apply for an E-2 visa(English Teaching visa), click here to view the process and required documents

Different Visas for Foreign Teachers in Korea
Although there are 28 different categories of visas, the most common visas for Foreign English teachers are the below:

E-2 (Teaching Foreign Languages)  - This is the most common visa for foreign teachers.

F-3 (Dependent Families) - If you are coming to Korea with your family members, your family members need to get an F-3 visa. You can get this visa in Korea or from your local Korean consulate.

F-4 (Korean Residents Abroad) - This is the visa for Korean American/Canadians. If you have a Korean family member who’s name is on the Korean family registry, you can get an F-4 visa. This is easier than most other visas.

F-2 (Residence) - If you are married to a Korean, you can get this visa.

A-3 (Agreement) - We also call this the SOFA visa. If you have a family member who works for the US Army in Korea, this is the visa for you.

C-3 (Short-Term Visitors) - If you are going to teach at a summer or winter camp, this is the visa you should get for short-term contract.

Each visa has its own requirements that depend on Korea's relationship with your country and the type of visa. A visa does not guarantee entrance into the country. Permission is stamped into your passport on arrival.
So be nice to the immigration officials!


Multi-Entry Visa and Single-Entry Visa
Important Note: Most likely, if you get your visa, it will be Single Entry visa. If you already have your E-2 visa in Korea and if you want to travel to different countries (for example, Thiland, China, Japan, etc.) during your visa time period, you should go to the local immigration office and change your visa from Single Entry visa to Multi-Entry visa. Otherwise your visa will be cancelled.


Alien Registration
Alien Registration Cards are the official identification card for Foreigners in Korea. Once you get your visa and arrive in Korea, you are required to register at a local immigration office having the jurisdiction over the place of your stay within 90 days from the date of your entry. It will take about a week to get the Alien’s ID Card.
In order to open up your bank account, getting the landline telephone installed, or for getting the medical insurance, you are asked to provide your Alien’s ID Card. So, we recommend that you to go ahead get the Alien’s ID Card as soon as possible.
It is punishable by law to stay in Korea for more than 90 days without being registered.
Teacher’s bus recommends that you to ask either your co-worker or school supervisor to make a phone call to the office.



Korean Immigration Bureau
Official site of The Korean Immigration Bureau. You can gather immigration related matters such as visa affairs, entry/departure inspections, foreigners’ residence administration and more.

- Embassy and Consulates around the world. A list of all adresses and telephone numbers. (
- Ministry of Labor official Ministry of Labor website
- Korea Legal Aid Corporation Official Legal Aid Corporation website. Provide free legal consulting. Call 132 from your telephone.
- Ministry of Justice Official Ministry of Justice website.

Share |

Add new comment

Members Only! Please login!


Showing 0 of comments